Have you ever wondered what is collision insurance and what does it cover?
Collision insurance is a type of auto insurance plan that covers the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle if it’s damaged in an accident. It also provides coverage for any medical expenses that may result from the accident.
In this article, we’ll discuss the basics of collision insurance and how it can help protect you and your car.
What Is Collision Insurance?
The coverage of collision insurance pays for the replacement or repair of your car following a collision, with the exception of the deductible amount. This type of auto insurance plan is usually optional coverage similar to comprehensive insurance.
Consequently, adding collision coverage to your auto insurance plan policy will cost you extra.
If you collide with another vehicle or object without collision insurance, you will be required to cover the costs out of your own pocket.
Your lender or leasing company will probably insist that you have collision insurance if you have a car loan or lease.
What Does Collision Insurance Cover?
If your car is involved in an accident, a collision auto insurance plan will cover the cost of repairing the damages or replacing your car entirely. This includes accidents like:
- Colliding with another vehicle.
- Hitting an object, like a fence, pole, or guardrail.
- Being hit by another car, such as in a hit-and-run incident.
- Rolling over.
With collision coverage, your best car insurance company will cover the cost of repairing or replacing your car in Pakistan, irrespective of who caused the accident.
How Does Collision Insurance Work?
The following scenarios explain when collision insurance coverage is applicable:
- When you cause an accident and have collision insurance, you are responsible for paying the deductible based on the degree of fault determined by the Fault Determination Rules. The remainder of the costs will be met by the insurance provider.
- If you’re not at fault for an accident and have collision insurance, you will be fully covered, and the insurance company will cover all the expenses.
- You will be responsible for paying for all damages to your car if you cause an accident and don’t have collision insurance. However, the other party and their vehicle will be covered by your third-party liability insurance.
- The other driver’s third-party liability insurance will cover you if you are not at fault for an accident and lack collision insurance.
- If you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident and the other driver leaves the scene, your damages will be covered if you have collision insurance.
Do You Need Collision Insurance?
You are not required to have collision insurance for your vehicle if you own it outright.
Yet, if you’ve taken a loan or a lease to finance the car purchase, chances are that getting collision insurance coverage is obligatory.
To protect their financial investment, your lender or leasing company wants to ensure that they’ll be able to recover the full value of your vehicle if it is ever totaled in an accident.
That’s why they require insurance coverage.
It is advisable to consider obtaining the best collision car insurance in Pakistan, even if it is not compulsory. If you cause an accident and do not have collision insurance, you would be responsible for paying for the cost of repairing your vehicle.
In addition, you would be responsible for covering the replacement cost if your car is declared a total loss.